FAQ's - General Information
- On average, the temperatures are always high with height of the day being between 11am and 3pm. Take high SPF and a hat.
- Long rains (occasionally lasting a few hours each) in March (av 9 days), April (av 16 days) , May (av 13 days) and the short rains which are light and short usually overnight in November (av 7 days) and December (av 9 days).
- On average, the warmest month is February.
- From mid-December to February, we have northerly winds called “kaskazi” which helps to cool the hot days down.
- On average, the coolest month is August.
- August is the driest month.
- June to August is the season to watch turtles hatch on the beach. You may see a rare glimpse of migrating humpback whales in the distance as they head south to warmer waters with their calves.
Most information taken from www.weatherandclimate.com
Health and Dietary requirements
- Malaria is still a problem in Tanzania. If you take precautions from dusk to dawn you should be fine using repellents and always sleeping under the mosquito net.
- We recommend visiting your doctor or travel clinic before travelling to Tanzania to ensure you have the correct vaccinations and medication including a yellow fever certificate for immigration.
- There is a clinic in the next village from the lodge or larger clinics in the City. Pharmacies are about 15km away in Mjimwema. We are always willing to help you if you need any assistance or advice.
- Travel with a basic first aid kit with plenty of insect repellent – we can recommend any citronella based repellents and Mosi Guard, effective but also natural. Include antihistamine or hydro cortisone cream to reduce itching and take anti malarial medicine for short vacations.
Pack long sleeved shirts and trousers for the evening although with the pleasant ocean breeze helps keep the mosquitoes away whilst sitting in our restaurant and bar.
Keep doors and window nets closed from dusk. Room spray is available.
Drink plenty of water throughout the day; recommended amount is between 2-3 litres per day to avoid dehydration.
- Please advise any dietary requirements or allergies upon booking.
Room rates exclude
Prices are based on the room for 2 sharing a king size four poster bed. Single occupancy discounts on En suite: Duma and Bandas: Kifaro, Punda Milia, Twiga. Extra beds are priced based on each adult Tsh20,000 or per bed for children up to 2 sharing Tsh10,000. Cot is Tsh5,000.
Breakfast is not included in the price due to the flexibility of room occupancy and also gives guests a choice of taking breakfast or not.
The rates therefore exclude all food and drinks (a full and half board rate is available) contact us to request a quote in your booking.
Tourism Development Levy, gratuities and transfers to and from lodge are excluded.
Booking and Payments
Final bills are payable in Tanzanian Shillings. We can accept USD Dollars, if necessary, with the exchange rate taken from the local Bureau de Change plus a 5% surcharge handling fee. Please be aware US Dollars will only be accepted if they are post-issue 2006. Please note our lodge is situated in a remote location and therefore the nearest ATM is at Mjimwema, Oilcom Petrol Station near the ferry.
At least 48 hours booking notice is usually required due to our remote location to prepare for your arrival. You may phone for last minute availability on 0654 789 593 but booking via email or Facebook message is advisable.
Non refundable deposits for bookings will be requested, to accept and secure your request.
Non refundable deposits can be made either 1) Locally via mobile money transfer - TIGO MESSAGE or 2) Internationally/locally via Western Union, Moneygram or PayPal (plus 10% surcharge handling fee for PayPal).
Please allow enough time for payments to reach us. Receipts for your deposit payments will be issued via email upon request.
Ensure you have a tourist visa before travelling, complete with a Yellow Certificate. This will enable you swift passage through the Immigration at border control. Please advise if you have a visa when requesting airport pick up so we can estimate your exit time and reduce car parking costs.
Due to limitations storage of this solar power and water please help us conserve this and be ECO Friendly, by not leaving water running in showers and taps and switching off lights when leaving your room. So we can try to have 24 hr power on solar alone.
Because we are ECO friendly, we do not have air conditioning. Fans are available but limited.
Power is 240 V on British three-pin sockets. There are double sockets in the room and at the restaurant and bar.
Check out time is 10.30am. If you wish to stay longer you will be required to make use of our restaurant facilities. Upon check out you are very welcome to use our restaurant, bar and facilities.
Bags can be stored safely for you.
Laundry service is available (except underwear) at an extra charge (which is paid direct to the "Dada" onsite). You may use our facilities if you wish to wash your clothes yourself.